Utilities and Electric
Empowering secure energy operations
Assuring cyber security is critical to improving the safety and reliability of the nation’s electric grid. Ensuring a resilient power supply is critical, fraught and challenging because of the complexities involved in doing so, as well as the universal dependency on it by every other sector. New technologies enabling, among other benefits, remote network access, enable implementation of agile, cost-effective operations. The downside is associated security vulnerabilities that increasingly threaten ICS. These are threats energy control systems cannot, by design, address.
3eTI safeguards utilities industrial control systems (ICS) against malware, while optimizing efficient operations, with solutions that seamlessly integrate with any platform native to the plant or facility. Additionally, a large installed base, complemented with a quarter-century’s experience, promises positive outcomes.
Our products safely prevent or minimize unscheduled stoppages. Applying defense-in-depth design to our solutions – unsurpassed in the industry for highest standards of compliance – 3eTI delivers resilience and performance regardless of system configuration or environmental conditions. Complex installation or advanced training are unnecessary; 3eTI solutions install and turn-up quickly and easily.
Meeting industry standards
3eTI designs, builds and deploys solutions that combine technology, policies and procedures to align risk with turnkey solutions that maximize systems spending while eliminating downtime due to breaches. When evaluating any cyber security solution, owners and operators of energy control systems are obliged to include North America Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) compliance in the decision-making process. While many types of facilities are required to meet NERC standards, all principals in the industry should strive to comply for best security outcomes that assure potentially life-saving system stability.
- Protecting OPC – OPC is one of the world’s leading protocols in process automation, valued for its utility in enabling interoperability among widely varying components and technologies. It is also the source of frequent threat warnings because its method of operation exposes control networks to attacks that traditional firewalls cannot protect against. This was publicly demonstrated when the Havex malware, deployed during the Energetic Bear/DragonFly ICS cyber-attack campaigns, targeted OPC and caused crashes and denial-of-service impacts to many infected systems.
- Protecting DNP3 – Industrial networks facilitate the free flow of messages that could allow poison packets to be sent with potentially disastrous effect. The use of DNP3 Secure Authentication doesn’t protect all payloads or those from a compromised device, making validated protocol-aware packet inspection essential. Unlike other security systems that perform incomplete or simplistic signature-based matching, CyberFence comprehensively parses the DNP3 protocol, including DNP3 Secure Authentication messages, to detect any malformed, unauthorized, or malicious messages.
How we do it
- Shield critical infrastructure with DPI technology
- Uses protocol-specific protection for DNP3 and BACnet
- First industrial device to be certified by the National Institutes of Standards and Technologies (NIST) and the NSA’s National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP)
- Solution goes beyond basic firewall, perimeter and signature-based defense
- Allows visibility and ability to alert in real-time
- Cloaks industrial endpoint communications using stealth mode
- Plug-and-play security